Eat Them to Defeat Them 2020
Our school is supporting the Eat Them to Defeat Them campaign to encourage kids to eat more
vegetables. It’s award-winning and proven to make eating vegetables more fun.
80% of children don’t eat enough veg! We want to encourage children to try each of these
vegetables three times so all six become part of their daily diet.
The campaign has been created by Veg Power in partnership with ITV, Channel 4 and Sky and is
well-supported by celebrities and chefs.
Please look out for the reward charts and sticker packs which we sent home on Tuesday this
week. To find out more go to www.vegpower.org.uk
VEG OF THE WEEK
Each week of the campaign will feature a rally cry around a family favourite vegetable. Each
vegetable comes with a fun real vegetable image and catchphrase.
We hope your children have told you all about the wonderful cooking they did on Monday with
Roots to Food. Children in Years 1-6 prepped and cooked Teriyaki Chicken or Quorn with
Bombay Noodles. It was fantastic to see children who initially said they would not even try this
food and didn’t like vegetables, tucking into everything and loving all the vegetables. The recipe
is attached so why not ask them to teach you how to make it at home?
Teriyaki Chicken or Quorn with Bombay Noodles(serves 4)
4 Small Chicken Breast diced (or 1 x 350g bag Frozen Diced Quorn)
½ tsp Dried Chilli Flakes
2tbls x 150ml Light Soy Sauce
2tbls Clear Honey
4tbls Apple Juice
1 Red Onion thinly sliced
4 Spring Onion thinly sliced
50g Mangetout chopped in half
1 Whole Carrot peeled and sliced thinly
2 tsp Mild Curry Powder
1 tsp Turmeric
1 Red Pepper sliced
4 nests 250g Medium Egg Noodles
50g Fresh Ginger finely chopped
1 tsp Chopped Garlic
1 tbls Bottle Olive Oil
Water for steaming
1.Place the chilli flakes, soy sauce, honey and Apple juice into bowl and whisk together to combine. Soak the noodles in a bowl in hot water with the curry powder and turmeric.
2. Place the chicken or Quorn into a clean bowl and add the garlic and ginger and stir together.
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan or saucepan or wok (with lid) until hot with a little oil
4. Sear the chicken in the hot pan for two minutes on each side, add 2 tbls water place the lid on the pan and steam for 90 seconds. Remove the lid carefully
5. Add the red onion to the chicken and steam for a further 1 minute with the lid on.
6. Now remove the lid carefully again and add the mangetout, carrots, peppers, spring onion and teriyaki marinade (honey, soy sauce, apple juice, chilli flakes)
7. Steam with the lid on gently for 2-3 minutes to reduce.
8. Stir the drained noodles through the teriyaki chicken and steam with the lid on for a further 1 minute
9. Remove the lid of the pan carefully and serve in to the centre of four plates.