On the last week of term Show and Tell will be on Thursday 13th February as this is the last day of term.
Barmpot Theatre Company
On Friday 17th January, we were joined by Barmpot Theatre Company who introduced us to the characters of The Farmer and The Park Keeper. The farmer taught us about fruit and vegetables. We had to help her by sorting them into the correct buckets. The Park Keeper talked to us about Pheasants, Grey Seals, Foxes and barn Owls. We then had to identify each animal by the clues he gave us. All the children did really well! At the end we got introduced to their puppets, Doggy and Bob the Pheasant who the children loved. We all had great fun!
A very Happy New Year to you all, and welcome to the Spring term!
I am putting together some information which I hope will be useful, as we will be changing a few of our organisational systems this term.
CHANGES: PLEASE NOTE
- Reading Books: now all children in Cherry Class are reading, we will no longer be sending home the story books for Reception, as in the Autumn term (although these will be available in our reading corner if children wish to enjoy them).
- We will be hearing children read individually on an allocated day (please see note in bag) and will be sending home two books at a time. There will be an opportunity to change these books twice in the week, ONCE on their reading day and AGAIN after a few days:
- Children whose days are Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday can have theirs changed again on FRIDAYS, and children whose days are Thursday and Friday can have theirs changed for the second time on MONDAYS, giving a possible four books a week for reading practice. (It is recommended that children re-read the same book more than once to develop fluency and deepen comprehension.) We will obviously accommodate illness and holidays, but it would be fantastic if you could support us with this. Please have books and reading records in school on the allocated days, read at home, and write any comments in the reading record.
- Additionally, we will also be hearing Year 1s read in guided reading groups (small groups) and will progress towards this with groups of Reception children as they become more confident
- This term our topic is Transport. We will be looking at trains and cars this first half term, and boats, planes and space travel in the second. IF YOU HAVE ANY SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE OR RESOURCES WHICH YOU THINK MIGHT INTEREST THE CHILDREN, AND IF YOU WOULD BE PREPARED TO COME INTO SCHOOL WITH THEM, PLEASE SEE MYSELF OR MRS BARNES.
- Sound books will be used as before, but we are awaiting a whole-school order and will update individual books when the new ones arrive. In the meantime, new sounds/ alternative spellings will be written on the back inside cover so you are kept informed, and for practice at home.
- The ANNA EPHGRAVE PLANNING IN THE MOMENT OBSERVATIONS system will continue as per last term (two Reception children per week will receive recorded focus from all staff members) but we have decided not to include Year 1 children this term, as they are assessed and tracked in a different way using the National Curriculum rather than the EYFS curriculum.
- PE days this term are Tuesday and Friday afternoons; please label all clothing.
- There is a new Show and Tell rota on the website for this term. It will be on Fridays again.
- Shoes are to be worn as part of school uniform, and not boots or trainers. If children come into school in boots or trainers because it is cold or icy, please also bring shoes for indoors.
Any questions, pop in and see us!
Cherry Class team: Mrs Gibbin (teacher), Mrs Fletcher (class teaching assistant), Mrs Bull and Miss Rodgers (learning support assistants).